MAKING CREAM CHEESE
Professor of Biology and Chemistry
University of Cincinnati Clermont College,
Batavia OH 45103
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE:
2 cups whole milk (500 mL)
2 cups heavy cream (500 mL
2 Tbl fresh cultured buttermilk (30 mL)
1/4 tablet Junket rennet tablet
sterile white plain handkerchief (boil to sterilize, hang to dry thoroughly)
1) Combine milk and cream in a stainless pot. Gently warm to 70 F (21 C), stir regularly.
2) Mix buttermilk thoroughly into the warmed milk-cream mixture. Cover.
3) Let sit 15 minutes. Meanwhile, dissolve 1/4 tablet of Junket rennet in 1/4th cup cool water (30 mL).
4) Thoroughly stir solution of rennet into inoculated milk/cream, cover again.
5) Allow to sit overnight at warm room temperature (70-75 F).
6) The mixture should have gelled by the next morning. Sprinkle 1/2 - 1 tsp salt on the surface.
Stir briefly and gently with a whisk to produce pieces about the size of a pea.
7) Line a large strainer with the sterile handkerchief. Gently pour the semi-liquid product into
the cloth. Let drain for 30 minutes.
8) Pick up the corners of the cloth, wrap corners in a looped thick rubber band, hang over a bowl
to drain. You may hang in a refrigerator if your house is hot.
9) Turn solidifying mass in the cloth to hasten drainage. Store in a refrigerator. Use within a
week or so.